I am running for one of the three open WLCSC school board seats and will be on the ballot November 8, 2022! This isn’t my first time running for the school board; I was one of 15 candidates in the election two years ago and was very close to winning a seat. Participating in that election helped me to better articulate my beliefs about how school board campaigns in a small community like ours ought to run and I would like to explain my views up front:
- School board candidates should not accept donations from companies that do business with the schools. It’s a conflict of interest. I won’t vote for any candidate who receives campaign contributions from a company that earns income from the schools.
- School board candidates should not accept donations or endorsements from school administrators or teachers union organizations. This is also a conflict of interest. Teachers union leaders working with school administrators to influence the school board election is textbook regulatory capture.
- No big donations! Candidates should not have to self-fund their campaign and donations expand the candidate pool. But, it should not cost thousands of dollars to run for the school board in a small community like ours. Accepting only small donations should be sufficient to buy yard signs, put up a website, and buy fliers. Large donations look like someone trying to buy political favors. I’m not going to accept any donation over $40.
- No PACs! The RDP-PAC’s heavy involvement in the school board election 2 years ago was atrocious. I hope we never repeat that. I’m not going to vote for any candidate associated with a PAC.
- No slate of candidates running as a group! The school board election should be about demonstrating to our neighbors that the individual candidate will do a good job representing them. It should be about voting for those that most closely share your views about how our schools should run.
- School board races should not even have the appearance of promises or favors owed to any group or individuals. I will not be seeking or accepting endorsements from any organizations or individuals.